I Want To Go Back...

April 15, 2013

The past several days have been incredible and I can't stress that enough. I wish I had pictures to document it all, but I was just too consumed with taking in every moment that my camera rarely made an appearance. My soul has been filled with enough happiness and joy from Virginia to last me until our next visit. Let me tell you all about it...

Wednesday was our travel day and, thus, that's exactly what we did for five hours of the day. But, fortunately for us, the drive wasn't too bad and we split up the behind-the-wheel time. Once home, Pete and I opted to sit outside on a blanket and take in the warm (okay, well hot) weather for as long as we could. Our downtown apartment in Maryland lacks surrounding grass, so this was an experience we were really looking forward to. It's been ages since my feet have been tickled by green grass and I welcomed the almost-forgotten feeling. The rest of the night was spent catching up with my parents and loving the feel of open windows with the tree-frogs' song drifting in.

And then Thursday came and it might just be my favorite day of the whole trip. With an early start and some doctor appointments scattered throughout the morning, our afternoon was filled with sunbathing and cheesecake making. Of which, was followed with a much-needed visit with Pete's brother's family. Let me just tell you, we have been waiting for forever (at least it seems) to get time with the newest Hill additions (twin baby boys!) and we certainly got an ample amount of it. We fell in love with them within the first couple of minutes and found ourselves making silly faces and smiling contagiously. And I can't forget the adult time we got with the parents...it's been so long since the four of us have had time together like that. Monopoly deal, dessert, and random stories filled the hours until it was time to call it a night.

Friday was kind of an errand day. Since we aren't home much, we have to cram as much as we can into our visits. That morning I indulged in Starbucks (sorry I'm not sorry) and then spent the next couple of hours with my mom and Pete searching for my mom's dress for the wedding. It was successful and she has a dress ordered and on its way. But, by far, the best part of Friday was time with my best friend from high school. I haven't seen her in over a year and to say I miss her would be an understatement. Plus, she hasn't even met the man I'm about to marry and we needed to remedy that quick. I'm not the only one that had introducing to do though. With the cutest baby bump I've ever seen, she walked into the frozen yogurt parlor and surprised me with her little man. In that moment I felt life starting to make it's full circle progression....I'm months away from getting married and my best friend is months from becoming a mom. Wow.

Saturday was full too, but the best kind of full. There was a bridal shower for a close friend (yay for all these weddings!) early afternoon. Then Pete and I satisfied our craving for the hibachi steak at a local Japanese restaurant. And because we didn't get enough time with Pete's brother and sister-in-law, we had a mini double-date with them over SweetFrog. Our weekend started off perfectly and we topped the night off by cuddling up and watching The Legend of Zorro.

And then Sunday showed its pretty face and Pete and I were a little sad...although the day was beautiful, we weren't too happy to leave our Virginia. The ride back to Maryland was gorgeous, though, with the road decorated by redbuds, bright green trees just waiting for their summer leaves, and white blooms accenting the bright blue sky. Our trip back seemed to fly by as Pete and I reminisced on our time home and shared a book together. Even though the drive to Virginia and back is long, it's easily worth it.